• Day 178: Tuesday June 26th


16:45 Turns out I got to bed at 03:30 nearly as guessed after showing 10mins of Lee Evans to Kat, and changing to fresh clothes post-monsoon. This meant I missed my alarm this morning, and my phone dying did not help, so the cooks knocked on my door around 09:00 though I had appreciated the couple of hours extra sleep.

After snack I walked Em, Je and Dw to a beach near the entrance gate asking if they had everything ready with them to compare shell size of molluscs inside the reserve to those outside - the reply being a resounding "yes." This beach is very beautiful actually though I had never really fully explored it before, although I dislike that tourists go there as it is just within the buffer zone of the reserve.
Entrance Monkey (D.Philpot)
As I went to leave, the students asked my help and what was it… they had in fact forgotten to bring a square quadrat for sampling - derp! They said "we should go back," to which I said "nope, we'll build one" and so we spent 10 minutes gathering straight sticks, some vines/scrap string on the beach and fashioned ourselves a quadrat using measurements on the transect tape - we were quite proud of this actually, back to basics!

I walked back via the beach, then had lunch before going out with the "beginners" snorkelling again.  This time I taught Adria to swim, without a vest, which was impressive as she was really scared to lose the vest so I made a witty bet saying "I want you to aim to swim without it at some point during today's snorkelling session for just 5 minutes" and she ended up from the start barely using it at all.  I also spent some time to teach Adrie to duck dive, I do make a great one-on-one teacher I must say, and now I am going to the lab again.
Hermit Crab Shell Selection Research (D.Philpot)
20:30 I got dinner order for the meal out this coming Friday - which is worth mentioning as when I went out to ask what the Sea Cucumber Team wanted I slipped on the rocks flat onto my back, though luckily the rock was a smooth one and it didn't hurt one bit as I landed with my back flush to the rock so I was laying there pretending nothing happened expecting everyone to be laughing at me but no-one noticed! Movie night tonight was cancelled and it was too stormy to go out with the fish people during (or until) the early hours.