• Day 177: Monday June 25th


00:30 With each of these days working with CSU, maintaining these journal entries is really quite tough. For instance tonight I helped out with the fish tappers again and so will actually get to bed at ~03:00 or so I guess as I am soon I am to go back out with them. Kat learnt that the word bed looks like a bed which amazed her, and right now as I write this there is a ridiculous monsoon in the background… joy! Means there will be lots of flies when we go out to the tidepools with the bottle fish traps flocking around our lights.

This morning I helped ML replace hammocks in the yard which was fairly insightful and interesting at least to me. His stories still impress me and I never seem to bore from all the interesting twists and turns (or "bunny trails") they take.
Morning Light Spider (D.Philpot)
A Fluffy Sea Hare (D.Philpot)
Cute Green Hermit Crab (D.Philpot)
Teeny Tiny Green Moth (D.Philpot)
In the lab I helped out the Hermit Crab Olympics team, keeping up moral of other groups by shooting rubber bands about the lab which was fun - especially with Adrie.  Dan then found a really cool Weevil that everyone found really interesting.  The Americans laughed at the way I said "it has a fluffy nose" but I couldn't see why, and even more so after their POOR impressions.  We were then told that out of all the animals in the world insects are the largest group, then within that the beetles (all pretty obvious) but within the Beetles the largest group are the Weevils - and Costa Rica has the greatest insect diversity so I imagined there are a lot of interesting Weevils out there. 
Raving Weevil 1 (D.Philpot)
Raving Weevil 2 (D.Philpot)
Raving Weevil 3 (D.Philpot)
Raving Weevil 4 (D.Philpot)
This guy was extremely entertaining though, interesting looking with very spiky legs which seemed to grip effortlessly to any surface, and when blown raised its arms in the air as if it was raving in a club which led to the creation of these videos…
Raving Weevil 5 (D.Philpot)
Raving Weevil 6 (D.Philpot)
Pink Skies (D.Philpot)
A guest professor from CSU, an expert in the field of GIS, arrived and PS had to be taken on a run to the doctors as his condition worsened - so being in a remote tropical area it is best to seek medical assistance before becoming worse still.  Meanwhile I was sanitising everything with alcohol gel, especially when it comes to phone cards (a possible source of the virus - a running joke).
Green & Yellow Sink Moth (D.Philpot)
Lightning In The Clouds (D.Philpot)
Lightning + Clouds + Moon (D.Philpot)