• Day 176: Sunday June 24th



21:30 I woke for breakfast but then crept back to bed until Adria knocked on my door asking for help with their research. I opened coconuts using my machete for their hermit crab experiment dubbed "Hermit Crab Olympics" as well as for them to try. ML then showed me how to sharpen a machete against a tree, but some Army Ants did not appreciate the machete being driven into the tree trunk so swarmed up to blade up to his hands. 

We had a Mickey Mouse drawing competition too:
This Was Quite An Entertaining Game (D.Philpot)
I also found a few other new creatures around this morning:
Lightning Blue (D.Philpot)

Lightning Blue Back (D.Philpot)

Same Bug, Different Angle (D.Philpot)

Think This Big Moth Is New (D.Philpot)

This Flame-Coloured Moth Is Certainly New (D.Philpot)

Little Blue One (D.Philpot)

I found some really cool and pretty bi-valve mollusc shells, one was white with what looked like chocolate over one side and the other was tiger-striped.  
One Beautiful Shell (D.Philpot)

Another Gorgeous Shell - Complete (D.Philpot)
I then saw the most beautiful moth I will perhaps ever see! Not only is this the most beautiful one you will ever see but it is also the largest species in the entire world - an Atlas moth, it is such a shame these creatures only live for around a week :-(
 
First One I Saw (D.Philpot)


Just Around The Corner - A Perfect Specimen Atlas Moth (D.Philpot)

After lunch I was laying in one of the hammocks, then Caballo swang me so I took out my water gun (supersoaker) and got revenge on her, the other cook and Caballita in the kitchen.

PS managed to catch the "phone card virus," named so as everyone who looked after or wanted a calling card to call home seemed to become ill, and so I started to avoid contact with the deadly cards… and people. One of the students Em, a Spanish speaker, made me laugh as she asked "what is 'Casado'?" after I had mentioned the Spanish salad dish and it took her ages to realise what I meant bless her. 
 
One Leaf-Like Katydid (D.Philpot)


Another Leaf-Like Katydid In Green (D.Philpot)

The rest of the day can be summed by sorting, helping out groups, food and now bed! No data collection tonight due to lightening?