• Day 173: Thursday June 21st



18:30 A prompt breakfast this morning was followed by handing out everyone's snorkelling gear and by 09:00 I got to get back into the water here which, after about one month, is an indescribable feeling.

Aside from the creatures I decided to pick up a Grinning Tun Shell by the sharktooth rock and discovered it had a hermit crab inside.  This was no ordinary hermit crab, nor was it the red/black large spikey crab I had heard of,  but a gigantic almost mutant sized hermit crab.  Because he was so big he was really sensitive to me trying to encourage him out… normally if you hold a hermit crab at an angle and don't breath bubbles they come out.  Eventually he did, but being so big also meant that he was really heavy to hold in one hand as my other hand held my camera ready for a few photos including these:
Largest Hermit Crab In The World Peeking (D.Philpot)

Largest, Pinkest & Hairy Hermit Crab (D.Philpot)

Turtle Love - Not Tina (D.Philpot)
My group had Ca, Kar and Al in - Ca swam with Tina the turtle, meanwhile Al and the rest of my group had gone from "zero" to advanced in one snorkelling session. ML found an odd-looking Scorpionfish.

The afternoon was first taken up by an Anteater that just hung out for ages real close to us all looking among coconuts foraging for ants and climbing up trees.

22:00 By the shell-o-rama everyone was tired but it still went well and everyone enjoyed it. Al span a white cone shell like a top that was perfectly balanced so span for over twenty seconds.  I took more photos of the students at work.

Again, dinner made me appreciate San Miguel and the cooks again with my favourite ingredient… platanos (plantain!).  I plated the drawing game with Kat again, then DL gave a lecture on assessing the bus data collected on vehicle types etc.  We walked along the length of the beach with only lightening to guide us, and the lights in the lodge kept on cutting out.  As the lightening encroached there was a sudden gigantic whipping crack of lightening that made everyone jump and a small storm continued through the class as well.