• Day 172: Wednesday June 20th



21:00 This morning I took the weather, which of course was last done by me all that time ago… so not good. The lab was also set-up ready for the newly invented invert-o-rama and then we set out to collect some marine specimens.

The student enjoyed the day hike on the reef as much as the one last night, and the students that missed that session from being too tired were as enthusiastic as those that made it out. I held a small Blue-Phase Guineafowl Pufferfish and later had a wrestle with a huge crab hiding in a rock using a stick, and won (Dean - 1, Nature - 0).
I Couldn't Wait To Get My Hands On A Fish (D.Philpot)
After snack, which I always forget the cooks make with the presence of student groups, we looked at invertebrates under microscopes and when finished I photographed and documented a new species of Nudibranch Sea Slug for DL to send to InBio and an expert on them who previously visited with the Mollusc people. This species was new to the area and appeared to look like a flatworm when I first saw it.
Brittlestars For Our Marine Collection (D.Philpot)

Sea Urchins (D.Philpot)

Another Photo Of Me And A Puffer (D.Philpot)
Unknown Seaslug (D.Philpot)

Beautiful Nudibranch Frills (D.Philpot)
This evening I played a drawing game with Kat where we had to give one another something to draw under different categories - and all I can say is most people that saw laughed at Kat's drawing skills, in a good way. We then had a fish lecture which was actually delivered pretty poorly due to using a different media player for the fish video and jumping ahead to other less common fish instead. I originally wrote a reason the presentation was good here but it does not make any sense at all so I have left it out. I stayed behind to backup my photos, which I did but I felt very ill afterwards because of the small jabs air-conditioning (or AC). 
Nuclear Sky (D.Philpot)