• Day 215: Thursday August 2nd



09:45 So here we are… roughly 212 days or about 31 weeks in Costa Rica!

The hotel provided me with a surreal wake-up call, I then had my last Gallo Pinto (traditional rice & beans dish) and arranged my luggage a little.

The taxi driver took me to the airport where everything ended up going as smoothly as hoped, apart from I couldn’t buy any Flor De Caña cane sugar dark rum as planned as a gift to friends, family and colleagues!
Goodbye Costa Rica (D.Philpot)
What am I returning to? England - that grey and currently unfamiliar country… the Olympics I've only just been reminded of, and that’s the end of my only enthusiasm I have for that… because of course I would much rather stay in this beautiful place. My options to stay or return would be employment within the environment sector here, to pursue a dive internship to earn my Divemaster qualification while working and being paid a little to do so, or further education through one of the universities here… I can now only hope this is possible maybe one day.

My family, friends and pets, these are actually highest on my list… I miss them but I realise it will all be quite strange for a long while. I am not looking forward to suffering with reverse culture shock, especially with not using anywhere near as much Spanish in practice - maybe in my head, however I do have both my brief trip to Ireland followed shortly by university life once more to look forward to. I return to a new life, with a more profound mind about the tropical lifestyle, let's see how my next chapter pans out…