• Day 214: Wednesday August 1st Gone but never forgotten



21:30 I woke to have my last ever good coffee in this park at 05:30, the cooks were "muy amable" though were clearly putting on a brave face, everyone around could see they were sad.

I said goodbye to PS who I wished the best in taking over my position, I said goodbye to ML who I thanked for everything especially including all his advice, truly inspiring and entertaining stories… then I said goodbye to the male park guard that drives the ATV quad (my papi!) before taking photos with them… and then DL and I slowly took THE WALK out of the park to meet Elias for the last time…

I said goodbye to the lagoon, to San Miguel and hello to Elias… we were late so before rushing off I gave a heartbreaking goodbye to DL, where I could not put into words all she has done for me… Though she still found more kind words for me and I was left only to hope that I would see this wonderful lady again someday.

On the drive out some Howler Monkeys cried really loudly in the tree canopies behind us as if they know, Morpho Butterflies flew over the windscreen and by the car - and then there were a couple of difficult tears… It all sounds very Disney right now but I write it as it was as normal. Elias rushed me to catch the bus - which I only just caught, so I quickly said goodbye to him and wished him and his family the best.

At Cobano a lot of people got on and I met a cool blonde Norwegian girl who had travelled tons and inspired me a little more, which I didn’t feel to be possible in my current state of mind, and I thought about what DL had said… "This is not the end."

In San Jose I walked to Hotel Cacts, cured 5 days of worry by getting my plane tickets reissued, ate some empanadas from a local soda store before watching a little TV and trying to sleep.