• Day 213: Tuesday July 31st



I woke up extra early this morning to say goodbye to SL, which did not feel real at all and was as if I was watching myself leave.

Today was my last day in San Miguel… so I spent pretty much my whole time reflecting on my time here and on everything that I have learnt and everyone that I've met.

So the majority of the day I must have appeared like a zombie and I feel like I am getting ready to return to a foreign country.

I helped DL pack up and clean the lab one last time. The Harker teachers entertained me and one of them taught me to play a game of Crabbage, which is the first card game with many rules that I actually enjoy.

The Harker kids were pleasant too but I felt a little disconnected from them as PS was starting to take over in my position, which was decided beforehand as he would be involved working with them at their other field site once I leave. I tidied up my final pieces in my room then gave PS the last of his "presents" from me - from kitchen utensils to administrative documents including species sighting lists for snorkelling etc.

In the evening we had a fire, my last, which I built tall and proud - where I loved once more at these silly American ghost stories… seriously, they should just give up on these altogether. DL pulled me away for help, which was help eating ice-cream with the cooks (I knew something fishy was going on). I was given a card from the staff which I will cherish forever, but was very sad, then we took some group photos. Before bed I helped M (and everyone else) to finish the puzzle, which I saw as kind of symbolic of me and my time here, and then I slept in my now empty room for the last time…
The L's, The Cooks And Myself (D.Philpot)

The ATV Park Guard (D.Philpot)

The Staff & Me (D.Philpot)
I was reminded of all the stuff I'd broken during this trip, which was more than in my entire life easily, and included; my laptop, two pairs of good sandals, three pairs of flip-flops, and two cameras at least…

I will however withhold a proper "Month Summary" here seeming as I will only have a couple more entries in this journal. I will provide a summary of my time in Costa Rica thereafter.