• Day 209: Friday July 27th



23:00 We woke after a good nights sleep for breakfast and formed the plan to get everything back to San Miguel biological station. After we had the Chicharone left-overs we met one of the regular "van" drivers who took us to Puntarenas. During this time we solved the pelican, dwarf and blind-woman conundrums… the type of word games where you tell a story and ask everyone else "what happened" leaving them to guess. I got to know the grandchildren pretty fast and they seemed to have equally interesting stories to share.

On the ferry I relaxed in the breeze, had ice-cream and then spoke to DL about my time here, in the style of a debrief. She said very kind words about how much help I have been and how much she enjoyed me in the position I absorbed, we spoke of where I'm heading and how to address minor flaws she could see - which I liked to hear about.

Clambering off the ferry we met Elias who took us first to Parquera, then Cobano, where had more Cosechas and from there I rode in the back and bonded with the grandkids more so.

At San Miguel we had a drink, snack, rested, unpacked (apart from me :-( ), went snorkelling and then watched a movie - Cenizas del paraiso, or Ashes of paradise although I practically fell asleep missing a little of the ending.